The Centre for Language Studies was established in 1996 under the Faculty of Humanities, Chancellor College, University of Malawi as a Government of Malawi initiative to take over and expand the functions of the defunct Chichewa Board. Its mandate was broadened to cover not only Chichewa but all languages spoken in Malawi.
The principle activities of the Centre are as follows:
- Establish orthographic principles of Malawian languages;
- Develop descriptive grammars of Malawian languages;
- Compile lexicons of Malawian languages;
- Promote and preserve Malawian languages;
- Teach various languages of socioeconomic and political relevance to Malawi;
- Provide translation, interpretation and editing services; and
- Promote research in language studies.
- Translation of materials from one language into another
- Editing of materials in various languages
- Intensive language courses in both Malawian and non-Malawian Languages
- Consultancy services in Languages and Language related issues.
- Research in Language and Language related issues
- Collaboration with individuals and organizations in writing of textbooks and readers in Malawian and non-Malawian Languages
- Offers affiliate membership to scholars and researchers.
- Publishes Malilime: Malawian Journal of Linguistics.
Director: Prof Al D. Mtenje, BEd (Mw); MA (S.Illinois); PhD (Lon); Professor of Linguistics
Deputy Director: Vacant
Chichewa Section: Alick Kadango Bwanali, BEd (Mw), MA, (Mw) (Acting Deputy Director)
Chichewa Section: Mario S. Thodi, BEd (Mw)
Citumbuka Section: Jean Chavula, MA (Mw)
Ciyawo Section: Ahmmardouh Nuruddin Ussi Mjaya; BEd (Mw)